3.08.2009

picc and vacs


for all of you out there who are interested in what goes into my day...every day...here's how I roll.

This is a wound vac. It keeps a constant suction on my back to keep any fluid produced from staying in my back and becoming infected. I've been taking meds and been on this vac due to a staph infection. I'm extremely blessed that this is not the MRSA form of staph...much more resistant to antibiotics.

They stuff my wound with black sponge to keep the wound from creating any tunneling or an abscess to reinfect the area. The tape is to keep the suction from being lost.
The black bag is my buddy...attached to me 24/7...a little sucker.
PICC: peripherally inserted central catheter This line runs through my artery right to my heart.
I attach the syringes here to administer my iv antibiotics and heparin.keeping everything together with the little medical sock.
fun times!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jen Gillespie said...

Oh my lands. I am so glad I saw this post. First off...no fun for you. No wonder the kids are away for a while. How long do you have to have the vac? Second, I had a pic line for my first pregnancy...not fun huh! I remember my arm was so gross when I finally got it out 5 months later because I couldn't clean around it very well. Hopefully you won't have yours as long. Third, I think I need to have a surgery where the recovery option is a wound vac...so you have to e-mail me and tell me what it is really like. I am really wanting to know.

Tiffany said...

Oh Shannon,
you are such a good sport to be so positive about all this. Please let me know if you need anything. I might bring you some brownines this week. Chocolate helps anything right??

Kaylee said...

Oh my gosh I'm SO sorry! I feel so helpless! I can't imagine going through all that and still being so upbeat like you...you're a trooper!

Brian & Veronica said...

Shannon, that was amazing. . . in a weird sort of miracle way. . . I'm glad you're doing better and I love your posts. I'm missing your babies for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails