3.16.2009

green thumb?

David and I went and planted a garden for FHE tonight. Alright...he planted the garden. I held the long stick and punched the holes in the ground.
A member of our stake is a farmer and donated land to the wards so that individual families could plant their own gardens. He irrigates the ground. We are required to weed the gardens and harvest. We had some fun tonight planting and talking to some friends that were there planting their garden as well. We planted into the dark. There were car lights on letting us work in the dark. It was a fun FHE activity.
We got kinda silly and decided to give silly names to the plants on little wooden sticks.
Here is what we planted and the silly names we gave it:
Corn............popcorn
Spinach...........coconut
(eating spinach will make you strong like Popeye, and Popeye has big muscles in the shape of coconuts!) it's a stretch, I know, but having 'coconuts'? cool!
Lettuce.............let us rejoice
Tomatoes..........tow mater
(think of the movie 'cars')
Carrots.............jelly beans
(David's reasoning: jelly beans are given on Easter, bunnies and Easter go together, and bunnies eat carrots)
Arugula.........don't argue with me
(kinda catchy)
Lavender...........popo
(not poo poo...but popo...kid language for purple)
Zucchini.............linguine
(another Davidism)
Peppers...........salt
(silly David!)
Cantaloupe...........antelope
Watermelon.............the last melon
(from the movie "ice age"...think 'do do birds')
This is my first try planting a garden. My fathers mother was a wonderful gardener. She is/was known for the amazing gardens she would grow in their Chicago suburb home. Just amazing. My mom, on the other hand, had quite the opposite effect on gardens. Not quite the green thumb that Grandma Price had. We've made fun of her for that.
We'll have to see how this garden does. Will I follow in my mom's footsteps, or am I destined to be a green thumb?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails